clauderainsrm: (Default)
[personal profile] clauderainsrm posting in [community profile] therealljidol
 The poll is still active: therealljidol.dreamwidth.org/1229460.html
So make sure to be reading, commenting and VOTING for your favorites! 

The optional prompt is also out there for anyone wanting to use it/have something extra to read and comment on, even if there is no voting! therealljidol.dreamwidth.org/1229917.html

I managed to see five movies yesterday. The first two I was actually the only person in the theater, and the third I was one of two people! Granted, these were at the AMC during regular work hours. But considering that one of those only had a single showing every day (Hello Beautiful) I suspect that it wont be in theaters long. 

I forgot that because of the holiday, I wasn't getting overtime for anything over 40, I received comp time! I was actually just looking at that the other day wondering where it came from. Now that I've seen my overtime check, I know now! :D 

Monday's plans are now up in the air. But regardless of what I end up doing on the actual day, it will still be a nice weekend celebration with the movie/show tomorrow.  It does end up solving some of the "how am I going to fit this stuff in/what should I do about the cake" nonsense though! These things have a way of working themselves out. 


   ***

That "Season 5" question has led me down a far bigger rabbit hole than I was expecting. I think I mentioned part of it as an aside, but I'd forgotten how much of a thing it had been in the moment.  That Sidebar should be interesting. 

***

Back to the movies though - those first 3 movies all had me crying toward the end ("Tears of joy"). Hello Beautiful, Ha-Chan, Shake Your Booty and You Had To Be There. (OK, the tears on that last one was when they were remembering the force of nature that was Gilda Radner). 

Granted, it could be because I'm really emotional right now!


When was the last time a movie. show, emotionally manipulated commercial, had you crying tears of joy? 

Date: 2026-09-26 05:29 pm (UTC)
thephantomq: (Default)
From: [personal profile] thephantomq
Tears of joy? Oh Jesus. I don't recall the last time I've had those tears from a movie or a show. Or actually, no, that's a lie. I got emotional over the Legend of Aang movie that paramount didn't release in theaters (though I maintain they should have). But something about the music in general gets me every single time.

Oh hey, frist! And no, autocorrect, I meant frist, not first. Stop correcting me!!

There's nothing like having a movie theater to yourself. Get to sit wherever you want and just enjoy the film? Hell yeah.
Edited Date: 2026-09-26 05:30 pm (UTC)

Date: 2026-09-26 05:54 pm (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
I don’t think I’ve cried tears of joy that often… recently, maybe Heated Rivalry came close? I had a list of those that made me cry for other emotions but the re-read the question lol

I read a book recently that had me kicking my feet in joy over how cute it was but it’s monster romance 😂

I love having the movie theater to ourselves. We often wait weeks and go during a workday to avoid crowds and we’ve come close before.

Edited Date: 2026-09-26 05:56 pm (UTC)

Date: 2026-09-26 06:21 pm (UTC)
thephantomq: (Default)
From: [personal profile] thephantomq
Heated Rivalry was so good. I definitely cried during episode 5. And cried in relief in episode 6.

Date: 2026-09-26 06:27 pm (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
Yes. Both kinds of crying. It’s so good.

Date: 2026-09-26 06:17 pm (UTC)
halfshellvenus: (Default)
From: [personal profile] halfshellvenus
Five movies in one day is a lot! I'm not sure I could stand to sit still that long, though that could be an ADHD thing.

I am not really a "tears of joy" person. I don't fully know how that works. I think I experienced that maybe once in my life, at my former B-I-L's wedding? He'd had a hard time with my sister and her mental & physical deterioration that eventually led to her passing, and they'd never had children. But he found love again with a woman who adored him and who came with current and future grandchildren, and it was a second chance for him to experience love and finally something akin to being a father (he would have made a wonderful father).

"Emotionally manipulative commercial" makes me think of Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Junior," who is pregnant and crying over a TV ad: "She was Daddy's little girl, and now he's giving her away!" It was like when our daughter was 5 months old and the Beatles' "She's Leaving Home" came on the stereo. It felt like we'd just brought her home from the hospital, and 5 months had passed so quickly that she'd be going to college in no time!

Edited Date: 2026-09-26 06:19 pm (UTC)

Date: 2026-09-27 11:54 am (UTC)
kizzy: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kizzy
Yeah, I'm not really a "tears for joy" type either. Something REALLY has to hit me square in the heart for me to have that kind of reaction.

I KNOW I could never sit still that long either. We don't even watch much TV/movies together anymore because I always fall asleep and it irritates him. I find myself watching less and less because I'm either bored with the content or I just don't want to sit there not doing anything except watching.

Date: 2026-09-26 07:54 pm (UTC)
kandigurl: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kandigurl
I cried so hard at "You Had To Be There" when they were watching the one recorded rehearsal, and when they met up again for a gathering and sing-through. I love that they're all still connected.

Date: 2026-09-26 10:35 pm (UTC)
kandigurl: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kandigurl
That’s a good point. Her story was so heartbreaking. I was explaining it to my husband after I saw it and I was crying telling him about it, lol.

One thing I find kind of interesting is that aside from Gilda, the people we know most from the cast were the men, and most of the women either got harassed off set or decided to start families instead. I think that’s interesting, that men are expected to go off and have their careers but women are expected to take care of the home. I don’t know how much of that was the burden of societal expectation or just how things went, but I did notice it.

Date: 2026-09-26 08:24 pm (UTC)
hafnia: Animated drawing of a flickering fire with a pair of eyes peeping out of it, from the film Howl's Moving Castle. (Default)
From: [personal profile] hafnia
Tears of joy? haha. I definitely got a lil' teary, though I did not actually fully cry, when I picked up my bestie at the airport in August! Aside from that, I dunno. :)

Date: 2026-09-26 10:20 pm (UTC)
bleodswean: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bleodswean
Mr Inbetween. Seriously. It just was so perfectly done. In the same way the final moments of True Detective S1 are. I cry at artistic perfection and every Cormac McCarthy novel leaves me in joyous tears.

Date: 2026-09-27 12:32 am (UTC)
banana_galaxy: (Default)
From: [personal profile] banana_galaxy
I've sort of been training myself to get back to my natural emotional state, so I actually cry a lot when watching things nowadays, both happy and sad tears. Or laughing emphatically. Trauma and toxicity had trained me to be less emotional because people couldn't handle my big feelings.

Anyway, to answer the question, I think the most recent films that made me cry tears of joy were Terbang (Malaysian film) and All Wishes Come True (Chinese animated film). Did I cry joyful tears in Forgotten Island? I might have, and I thought it was very good, but I don't think my tears were as much as the other two.

I'm flying to Thailand today so I'm not sure how much I'll be around over the next few days, so I'll wish you and early happy birthday, Gary! I hope the day goes just how you want it.
Edited Date: 2026-09-27 12:35 am (UTC)

Date: 2026-09-27 02:39 am (UTC)
From: [personal profile] imafarmgirl
Holy Cow, I would find it physically and mentally impossible to focus on that many movies in a day and probably in a week. If I pushed hard I could do it in a month.

I don't remember the last time a show or movie made me cry. It has been ages. A book made me cry last week though. Does that count?

I'm having a relaxing weekend but talked to my Grandpa for an hour and a half. He is 94 and still lives at home on his own.

Date: 2026-09-27 01:03 pm (UTC)
ryl: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ryl
I was crying at the end of The Color Purple: Original Flavor when Nettie and Celie were reunited. Sobbed all the way from "NETTTIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE!" until the credits ran. Gaw, that's such a good movie.

Profile

therealljidol: (Default)
LJ Idol 20 Anniversary

September 2026

S M T W T F S
   1 2 3 45
67 8 9 1011 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27282930   

General Housekeeping

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 06:37 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios