clauderainsrm: (Default)
[personal profile] clauderainsrm posting in [community profile] therealljidol
 For the newbies, and veterans who are relearning everything as we get going most weeks aren't going to be as long as this one has been/is going to be.  Everyone needs time to get up to speed though. 

I just realized that for people who don't know this "Week" not even starting the poll until Day 8 is probably kind of weird.  :) 

Hopefully a few more people will use this time to sign up: therealljidol.dreamwidth.org/1219874.html     and everyone else will use the time to make sure they have their entries in! https://therealljidol.dreamwidth.org/1224892.html

After all, right now we still have 30 people or so who haven't posted yet! Which is another reason (if you are already done and are waiting) it's good to read ahead, That way you are ready for those 30+ entries when they come in! 

      ***

This should probably be a Sidenote, but it's just going to be a "remember when?"  The polls were bigger than LJ polls would allow, so I had to break them up into smaller groupings. The FIRST time this happened was a complete surprise and I had to scramble to figure out how to do that. I immediately came up with the idea of "Tribes", and person from each of them was going to be eliminated.  The next version of that involved the lowest vote-getters for the first round (that survived the poll) becoming the "Team Captain" to select who they wanted in a schoolyard pick. That way the "less powerful" ended up having the most influence in that moment and, in theory, could gain some goodwill and/or more attention. 

My favorite version of the tribes though is when I was getting frustrated with all the last minute entries! So I put something in place that used the tribe format that also helped in that capacity. I gave the first "tribe" to have ALL their entries posted IMMUNITY for that week. None of them were being eliminated.  :D   I've got to say that for the time it lasted, people were actually posting their writing much sooner on average.  :)  Of course that also put the people on tribes with one of our famed "last minute" posters at a disadvantage. But it was an interesting experiment, from my perspective. 

I'll probably talk about more of that stuff at some point. But I was just thinking about it. 

***

Speaking of polls, there are going to be additions, changes and in general some bumps especially for the first few polls. I appreciate your patience. I'll get them posted as soon as I can. 

*** 

I did make a promise to a long time supporter that unlike in the past (when I'd only do it a few times a season, I would post more reminders about the Patreon! But I won't do that while a poll is up. So again, here is the link for anyone who wants it and for those who don't, please keep scrolling. Cut and pasted from the FAQ.  

"I DO have a Patreon  https://www.patreon.com/c/u70027  Rewards have varied over the years, the one right now is feeling good about yourself AND exemption from being attacked by the mostly trained rabid pack of wolves that has been known to wander through Dreamwidth. Also invisibility to bears.  (Note: That last one has not been tested)  


If you want to drop something in the hat before, during or after the season - my email is clauderainsrm@gmail.com you can use that in PayPal/Venmo/Cash App/Zelle.  The rewards for that are pretty similar to the Patreon ones.  Except you are ONLY safe from bears riding unicycles wearing little pointy clown hats. "


And yes, it is pretty weird that other people are more invested in reminding people of the various ways to support keeping Idol going. But probably not all that surprising. I'm pretty bad about that sort of thing! If I promise someone something though, I try my best to do it. Which is why they made me actually promise them.  :) 





    ***

How is your week going? I'm up far too late again. I left work early. Came back to the apartment and immediately went to sleep for 4 1/2 hours. Woke up, had a salad, watched Lanterns,, logged on to read some of that Idol history I'd been asked to check out, and then logged back onto work for a couple hours. Now this, and very soon, hopefully more going to bed until I have to get up to repeat the process! 

Date: 2026-09-22 04:42 am (UTC)
bsgsix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bsgsix
FRIST.

(Had to be done.)

Good midnight/night/early morn, all! It's been... a week. Migraines, bad news, and a lot of emotional upheaval. But we do what we can, and we keep moving on.

In cute news, my cat is kneading the hell out of my leg and wanting my attention, so, that gets to win, and I'm going to go be her willing scratching post.

LOTS of history I want to comment about, but the cat wins first. ;)

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] bsgsix - Date: 2026-09-22 07:19 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2026-09-22 05:04 am (UTC)
banana_galaxy: (Default)
From: [personal profile] banana_galaxy
I do not remember any immunity being granted to tribes, so that must've been a pre-season 6 thing.

I already got my start reading ahead with entries, but it's going slower than I would've liked. I should have more time today before I go out to hang out with a friend tonight though.

Date: 2026-09-22 05:15 am (UTC)
halfshellvenus: (Default)
From: [personal profile] halfshellvenus
I'm reading, reading, reading. And yet, I know there'll probably still be about 1/3 of the entries left (at least) by the time the poll goes up. :O

Date: 2026-09-22 05:57 am (UTC)
aggienaut: (Default)
From: [personal profile] aggienaut
I'm curious, do many people attempt (and/or succeed?) in reading every entry every week? And if now how do you choose which ones to read?

I actually only aim to read about 20, but I aim to make it a _different_ 20 each time. Plus a few of my favorites I'll read every time, I try to read the ones in danger of elimination in the last 24 hours to see if one is worth trying to save with my vote, and if a person is getting way more votes than usual I'll see if its a particularly remarkable entry.

Is this scandalous disregard to a moral imperative to read them all, in your opinion, or do others do something simlar?

Date: 2026-09-22 06:29 am (UTC)
hafnia: Animated drawing of a flickering fire with a pair of eyes peeping out of it, from the film Howl's Moving Castle. (Default)
From: [personal profile] hafnia
I read them every week. I do not comment on every entry, mostly because I don't always have something to say, but I do read everything. I read faster than most people do (my husband and other friends have verified this), and in the early weeks, at least, I begin reading well before the poll goes up.

I realize in the early weeks at least it's difficult not to read everything, but it feels unfair to me not to read everything and then vote.

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] aggienaut - Date: 2026-09-22 06:51 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] pixiebelle - Date: 2026-09-22 07:13 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] joeymichaels - Date: 2026-09-22 07:41 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight - Date: 2026-09-22 10:17 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] aggienaut - Date: 2026-09-22 11:10 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight - Date: 2026-09-22 11:58 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] aggienaut - Date: 2026-09-22 12:27 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight - Date: 2026-09-22 12:30 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] hafnia - Date: 2026-09-22 01:35 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] aggienaut - Date: 2026-09-22 09:34 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] hafnia - Date: 2026-09-22 09:37 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] aggienaut - Date: 2026-09-22 09:54 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] hafnia - Date: 2026-09-22 09:55 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] aggienaut - Date: 2026-09-22 10:09 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] hafnia - Date: 2026-09-22 11:58 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] aggienaut - Date: 2026-09-22 09:36 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] aggienaut - Date: 2026-09-22 09:44 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ofearthandstars - Date: 2026-09-22 05:26 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] talonkarrde - Date: 2026-09-22 06:21 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] simplyn2deep - Date: 2026-09-22 07:21 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] thephantomq - Date: 2026-09-22 07:34 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] humanbeansradio - Date: 2026-09-22 11:32 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2026-09-22 06:33 am (UTC)
hafnia: Animated drawing of a flickering fire with a pair of eyes peeping out of it, from the film Howl's Moving Castle. (Default)
From: [personal profile] hafnia
Today was a migraine day, but I got errands run and my spouse agreed to help me with my cold frame project, so, hey! :)

I also (and I do not think anyone here will care about this, but perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised) beat Blue Prince's Cursed Mode. For people that don't know, this is the hardest mode of the game. If you go off of achievements, only about 2% of people who play the game end up successfully completing it, so now I am among that 2%! :D

Date: 2026-09-22 07:18 am (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
Okay I should check out Blue Prince. I googled it to see what it is. I doubt I could beat cursed mode but I do love a challenge! Congrats!!!

My husband and I beat Honor mode of Baldurs Gate 3 on our first try at Honor Mode, and I still brag about it to this day (we’d played the game on hard mode about eight times before we did it). Honor mode is a one save thing where if you die, you start at the beginning again.

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] hafnia - Date: 2026-09-22 07:23 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] pixiebelle - Date: 2026-09-22 07:28 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] hafnia - Date: 2026-09-22 07:30 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] pixiebelle - Date: 2026-09-22 07:37 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight - Date: 2026-09-22 10:21 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] pixiebelle - Date: 2026-09-22 10:25 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] dizzydog - Date: 2026-09-23 01:19 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] hafnia - Date: 2026-09-23 02:52 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] singedsun - Date: 2026-09-23 05:42 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2026-09-22 07:26 am (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
I remember the tribes. I’m not sure if I remember the immunity part or not… I do remember somehow I got to be tribe leader and pick my tribe my first time playing. I don’t remember why, but it was Thanksgiving and I was looking at all these unfamiliar names trying to assemble a tribe really quickly 😂 at least I think that’s what happened? Maybe I’m wrong.

I just woke up for the day. My week is going fairly well, no complaints. Tomorrow will be busy. I have to get a mammogram/ultrasound. I’m a bit behind on it because I’ve been stressed with IVF stuff and honestly, post-cancer scans are anxiety-inducing (my doctor also wants me to get a PET scan just to make sure I haven’t had a recurrence while off my meds though she’s not concerned, I am). The mammogram is the first step toward getting back on track for my other medical appointments besides just IVF (which is another story for another time and I hope to write it for Idol at some point)

Date: 2026-09-22 10:24 am (UTC)
gardeningatnight: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
Good luck with your mammogram! And just, getting back on track with your medical appointments.

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] pixiebelle - Date: 2026-09-22 10:32 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2026-09-22 07:30 am (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
Oh and I was caught up on reading as of last night. It’s been helpful to read as they get posted. It would be nice if I could do that every week, but most weeks I’ll likely not get my entry in so early.

I have a looooong list of people to vote for this week. A lot of really good stuff.

Date: 2026-09-22 09:25 am (UTC)
aggienaut: (Default)
From: [personal profile] aggienaut
Update: I've started reading the entries for this week and.... is it just me or is a weirdly high percentage of people writing about their grandmothers??

Date: 2026-09-22 10:29 am (UTC)
gardeningatnight: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
I don't think it was *that* many, although I get what you're feeling, because I did notice a couple of recurring themes in the entries this week. Which is fine, because I also feel like each one was a different approach.

Date: 2026-09-22 01:14 pm (UTC)
kizzy: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kizzy
Good morning, I just posted a friends only rant on my DW about having no effing time because of my effing job, yaddayaddayadda, which is what my issue has always been when it comes to reading. I made a stab last night trying to read Idolers on my feed and I fell asleep but not because of whose entry I was reading, LOL, but because I'd been up since 3AM without a nap. I'm off today so I'm going to make another stab and see if it sticks.

I remember tribes! IIRC it was a logical way for Gary to divide everyone because of LJ's poll creation parameters. Also a Survivor thing ;) I think this has been the largest group since we've been at DW, so it'll be interesting to see if we're also divided into tribes when the poll goes up.

Season 4 and Tulip...I can only speak from a fellow contestant side, but I remember a lot of animosity pointed toward her because she never tried hiding the friendship she had with you, Gary. In some ways it felt like she was attempting to manipulate you.
Edited Date: 2026-09-22 01:39 pm (UTC)

Date: 2026-09-22 02:34 pm (UTC)
gardeningatnight: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
I continue to dig my way through reading. It's a lot to do, but I get rewarded with some interesting content, and that helps keep me going. There are a few that I read days ago and find myself still thinking about, which is really nice--my attention span and memory retention are maybe a little better than they once were. (Though also not quite as good as they once were, at an earlier time).

I do remember tribes, but not tribal immunity, which suggests it was not a season 6 phenomenon. Although there were other forms of immunity. I remember the tribes because one of the very first ones in season 6 was tribe talonkarrde86, because he'd had one of the lowest vote totals in week 0. And then he ended up being a fan favorite and making it super far, which I thought was really cool.

This week is Homecoming at my kid's school, so they're having spirit week theme days. Today's was "Rhyme without a reason" which I guess is usually a partners costume thing. But my kid came home yesterday and announced that she was going to dress up as an Existential Rapper. Which delights me because 1. it's such an absurd little idea and 2. it came from my kid.

(As a side note, I feel like "Rhyme without a reason" is the perfect theme for [personal profile] onda_bianca)

My week is going okay. Laboring for my employer. Trying to tackle chores enough that the household can continue to function. Doing my best to be a responsible citizen in the land of Idol. So far it's a pretty mundane week. But that's okay. I've seen some of the alternatives, and I'm old enough to appreciate dull.

Date: 2026-09-22 02:50 pm (UTC)
missspiff: (Default)
From: [personal profile] missspiff
Good morning! I hope you were able to get restful sleep & did not pull an all-nighter. I plan on reading through entries today & the next couple of days. I have yet to read any entries, due to my own health and everything being so chaotic at times...

I have a limited income, but plan on donating once my next paycheck hits.

Cheers & best of luck to all the writers! I am so excited to be a part of this and thankful to be surrounded by talented people. I am most excited to dive into all the minds of all the writers in this competition through their submissions. I truly love seeing what the mind comes up with and the thought process of others. It's fascinating.

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] kizzy - Date: 2026-09-22 05:02 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2026-09-22 03:32 pm (UTC)
From: [personal profile] legalpad819
In the past, I have tried to read all of the entries, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do it this time, especially in these early weeks. As a new contestant, this would have troubled me greatly. Now I feel like people understand. We're all busy.

I'm typing up some documents now to close out an estate and put on Mad Men in the background.

Date: 2026-09-22 05:04 pm (UTC)
kizzy: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kizzy
Now I feel like people understand. We're all busy.

I think it's more acceptable now to be busy with Real Life compared to when we were all on LJ. Funny how that works the older we become.

Re: Unsolicited Advice

Date: 2026-09-22 04:20 pm (UTC)
gardeningatnight: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
Look, it's been so long since I played that while I can recall the names of some of my old favorites, I often couldn't remember why I had liked them. So now it's interesting to see if I still feel the same way or to have a moment where I'm like "Oh yeah, that deep well of nerdiness is why I still have abiding feelings of fondness and warm fuzzies."

I have also found a new favorite. They write with the honeyed voice of an eldritch god and it delights me so.

Date: 2026-09-22 04:36 pm (UTC)
adoptedwriter: (Default)
From: [personal profile] adoptedwriter
Morning all. My Bell 3 student I aide for is absent today so I lucked into a bit of free time. I’ve been reading and keeping up w entries so far. Easy work week so far. On Friday we are having a 9-25 day, AKA 9-To-5 Day, as in Wear country western bling wear for Dolly Parton Day. lol.

Re: I was just thinking about this:

From: [personal profile] kizzy - Date: 2026-09-22 05:06 pm (UTC) - Expand

Re: I was just thinking about this:

From: [personal profile] hafnia - Date: 2026-09-22 09:01 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2026-09-22 05:17 pm (UTC)
jake67jake: (Default)
From: [personal profile] jake67jake
I didn't mean to be a last minute poster (or at least a last day poster), but that is how my week turned out.

Also, I don't like to read other entries before I post because if I haven't fleshed out my idea, I am afraid that I may inadvertently "steal" someone's take, or if someone has a similar idea to what I'm thinking, I will panic and try to change mine, and wind up scrambling to get a "new" idea.

SO close to 100

Date: 2026-09-22 05:42 pm (UTC)
gardeningatnight: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
Like, we're really close to 100 people signed up! I think it's 95 and 2 maybes?

There must be at least a few more old timers who would sign up and submit a few half-assed posts just to give the rest of us an extra bye. Right? Right?

I mean... there must be a few more old timers who would sign up because of their undying love of Gary and the game. >.>

Edited (tact) Date: 2026-09-22 05:43 pm (UTC)

Re: SO close to 100

From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight - Date: 2026-09-22 06:19 pm (UTC) - Expand

Re: SO close to 100

From: [personal profile] pixiebelle - Date: 2026-09-22 10:29 pm (UTC) - Expand

Re: SO close to 100

From: [personal profile] murielle - Date: 2026-09-22 10:41 pm (UTC) - Expand

Re: SO close to 100

From: [personal profile] murielle - Date: 2026-09-22 11:39 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2026-09-22 07:03 pm (UTC)
simplyn2deep: (Default)
From: [personal profile] simplyn2deep
I'm in it to get as far as I can. I had to make a spreadsheet with everyone's name as I read their submission, so I could keep track. I'm still tweaking it because now my brain is like "you should put a link to their entry..." and I really don't need to do that - I just need the link to the prompt entry, and I can find it that way.

Also, I have the office to myself, which is how I was able to create the spreadsheet, and now I'm working on homework a bit before going to the park outside my building for some tacos. This university is great at providing free food to the students, faculty, and staff.

I'm like 3.5 spoons overwhelmed by the number of green room entries. I simply cannot keep up and I really want to 😭
Edited Date: 2026-09-22 07:12 pm (UTC)

Date: 2026-09-22 07:08 pm (UTC)
alycewilson: Photo of me after a workout, flexing a bicep (Default)
From: [personal profile] alycewilson
My week is going pretty well so far, but it's only Tuesday! LOL

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight - Date: 2026-09-22 07:42 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] alycewilson - Date: 2026-09-22 07:46 pm (UTC) - Expand

Re: I asked the Wheel

Date: 2026-09-22 11:05 pm (UTC)
simplyn2deep: (Default)
From: [personal profile] simplyn2deep
I don't know how many people signed up/committed, but my list has 85 names. That's a lot of people

Re: I asked the Wheel

From: [personal profile] ofearthandstars - Date: 2026-09-23 01:58 am (UTC) - Expand

Re: I asked the Wheel

From: [personal profile] murielle - Date: 2026-09-23 03:45 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2026-09-22 11:10 pm (UTC)
gardeningatnight: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
Y'all what was I thinking?!

As I've been reading through entries (in the order they were posted), I've been keeping track of my impressions.

In a notebook.

Like, handwriting user names and general vibe...

Which is lovely, except it's IN A FREAKING NOTEBOOK. PAPER. WIRE BOUND.

Meaning there is no way to sort it alphabetically.

I'm not sure why, several days ago, I decided this was going to be "easier" than setting up a spreadsheet.

(I'll still probably do it again, though, because making spreadsheets is too adjacent to my job).

Date: 2026-09-22 11:57 pm (UTC)
hafnia: Animated drawing of a flickering fire with a pair of eyes peeping out of it, from the film Howl's Moving Castle. (Default)
From: [personal profile] hafnia
If you have a smartphone, it may have the option to extract text from a photo, which you can then dump into a spreadsheet or Word document and alphabetize :)

(I have also been there!)

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight - Date: 2026-09-23 12:35 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2026-09-23 03:31 am (UTC)
humanbeansradio: (Default)
From: [personal profile] humanbeansradio
SO three byes then, eh? Sweet.

Profile

therealljidol: (Default)
LJ Idol 20 Anniversary

September 2026

S M T W T F S
   1 2 3 45
67 8 9 1011 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27282930   

General Housekeeping

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 06:37 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios